The Home of the Croatian Association of Visual Artists in Zagreb, better known as the ‘Mosque’, is one of the central points of visual art in the city.
The exterior of the Home of Croatian Visual Artists with a beautiful fountain, meadow and a large pedestrian area today makes one of the most favourite meeting points in Zagreb for all generations, people walking their dogs, skaters, bikers and young students who, when temperatures get higher, prefer to start their night life here. The interior holds three galleries — The Barrel, The Ring and The Gallery of Expanded Media — organizing very lively exhibitions. Of course, the headquarters of the Association and the public lecture hall are also located inside of the building. It is interesting to note that the pop culture archives prove that the photograph for the cover of Filigranski pločnici, the cult album by the band called Azra, was shot nearby in the little woods. Locals sometimes still believe to see the group’s frontman — Johnny Štulić — standing under the nearest tree. Citizens of Zagreb colloquially call The Home of the CAVA ‘a Mosque’, because it was used precisely for that purpose from 1941 to 1944, during the time of quisling so-called Independent State of Croatia. Tough this period lasted only for three years, three huge minarets which have surrounded the building made sure it continued to be called a Mosque to this day. The building was designed by Ivan Meštrović, famous Croatian sculptor.