Formerly owned by the Zagreb Archbishopry, today Little Vatican is a monumental cluster of residential apartments.
Practically in the very centre of the ‘Martićeva Zone’, this block is so extensive and branched out that newcomers are rarely aware that it is a single building. Popularly known as ‘Little Vatican’, this three-storey residential and commercial complex with a mezzanine between the Vlaška, Martićeva, Bauerova and Ratkajeva streets is the largest building constructed in interbellum Zagreb. Formerly fully owned by the Zagreb Archbishopry, today Little Vatican is a monumental cluster of residential apartments, with various facilities on the ground-floor, from commercial and catering, such as the popular Divas café, to cultural ones, such as the recently opened 3,14 Gallery. Little Vatican was built gradually from 1926 to 1930 according to the design of architect Hugo Ehrlich, and to this day it impresses passers-by with its imposing appearance. Particularly interesting is the detached garden ‘bishop’s house’ in Vlaška street, whose purpose changed over the last twenty years from a day-care centre to yet another contemporary art gallery. It is worth mentioning that Hugo Ehrlich and his colleague Viktor Kovačić had a joint architectural bureau from 1910 to 1915, through which they exerted a crucial impact on the affirmation of modern architecture in Croatia.